Project of Doom Week 14
Harry’s Wand, Elder Wand and Voldemort’s Wand.
This weeks blocks was based on all the important wands in Harry Potter, I was quite excited about this block and ultimately decided to make all 3 variations.
All 3 patterns can be found at Fandom in Stitches and Sewhooked.
Voldemort’s Wand block, I made with black and green colors to represent Slytherin.
Tom Riddle’s wand was 13 1/2″ in length and belonged to Tom Riddle, the wizard who later became known as Lord Voldemort. The wand was made from yew with a phoenix feather core.
It was manufactured by Garrick Ollivander and was the “brother” or “twin” of the wand of Harry Potter, as their wands share cores. It was with this wand that Riddle murdered James and Lily Potter and countless others, including Muggle Frank Bryce, Amelia Bones, and Ministry of Magic ex-employee Bertha Jorkins. On Voldemort’s orders, Peter Pettigrew used this wand to kill Cedric Diggory in June of 1995 as well.
Harry Potter’s wand block
- Harry Potter: “I don’t want it.”
- Ron Weasley: “What? Are you mental?“
- Harry Potter: “I know it’s powerful. But I was happier with mine.“
- — Harry giving up the Elder Wand in favour of his own
Harry Potter’s wand was 11″ long, made of holly, and possessed a phoenix feather core. This was described by Ollivander to be an unusual combination of wand core and wood. The feather was donated by Fawkes, Albus Dumbledore’s phoenix. It was revealed by Garrick Ollivander that Tom Riddle’s wand core also came from Fawkes, making the two wands “brothers”. Harry’s wand was described as being “nice and supple“
The Elder Wand block.
- Hermione Granger: “You — you really think this wand exists, then, Mr. Ollivander?”
- Garrick Ollivander: “Oh yes, yes, it is perfectly possible to trace the wand’s course through history. There are gaps, of course, and long ones, where it vanishes from view, temporarily lost or hidden; but it always resurfaces. It has certain identifying characteristics that those who are learned in wandlore recognize…Whether it needs to pass by murder, I do not know. Its history is bloody, but that may be simply due to the fact that it is such a desirable object, and arouses such passions in wizards. Immensely powerful, dangerous in the wrong hands, and an object of incredible fascination to all of us who study the power of wands.“
- — Ollivander and Hermione discussing the Elder Wand
The Elder Wand is one of the fabled Deathly Hallows. In the “Tale of the Three Brothers” it was the first Hallow created, bestowed on Antioch Peverell, supposedly by Death himself after the wizard requested, as his bounty, the most powerful wand in the history of wizardkind. According to legend, whoever reunited it with the other two Hallows, the Resurrection Stone and the Cloak of Invisibility, would become the Master of Death.
It is said to be the most powerful wand that has ever existed, able to perform feats of magic that would normally be considered impossible, such as mending another wand damaged beyond normal magical repair. It is known that the Elder Wand’s core is the tail hair of a Thestral, a potent yet tricky substance to master that can only be handled by a witch or wizard who is capable of accepting death, since only by such can it be seen.